What is the First Citizens Mobile Deposit Service?
With First Citizens Mobile Deposit, you can make a secure deposit directly into your eligible checking or savings account using the First Citizens Mobile App on supported Apple and Android devices. First Citizens Mobile Deposit lets you submit photos of the front and back of your endorsed check.
What do I need to use the First Citizens Mobile Deposit Service?
Mobile Check Deposit is available to First Citizens clients who have:
- An active First Citizens Personal Online Banking account
- An eligible checking or savings account with First Citizens, open for at least 30 days
- Downloaded the most current version of the First Citizens iPhone or Android Mobile App
How do I get First Citizens Mobile Deposit?
Mobile Deposit is available using the First Citizens Mobile App on Apple mobile devices with iOS 4.1 and greater and on Android mobile devices with OS 2.1 and greater. You can download the app from the app store for your mobile device. If you already have our app, update it with the most recent version.
How does Mobile Deposit work?
It's secure and easy to use – sign in to your First Citizens Mobile App and follow these steps:
- Select the DEPOSIT option
- Select the account where you want to deposit your check
- Enter the check amount
- Take a picture of the front and back of your endorsed check with your mobile device
Helpful hints for photos:
- Place your check on a dark colored, plain surface with good lighting
- Position your camera directly over the check, not at an angle
- Ensure that all 4 corners of the check fit in the guides of your mobile device's camera screen
What types of checks can I deposit?
You can deposit checks payable in U.S. dollars and drawn at any U.S. bank, including personal and business checks. The check must also be payable to, and endorsed by, the account holder.
The following types of checks and other items are NOT eligible for mobile deposit:
- Checks payable to any person or entity other than the person or entity that owns the account into which the check is being deposited.
- Checks containing an alteration on the front of the check or item, or which you know or suspect, or should know or suspect, are fraudulent or otherwise not authorized by the owner of the account on which the check is drawn.
- Checks payable jointly, unless deposited into an account in the name of all payees.
- Checks drawn on a financial institution located outside the United States.
- Checks not payable in United States currency.
- Checks dated more than six (6) months prior to the date of deposit.
- Checks that have previously been submitted through the Mobile Deposit Service or through a remote deposit capture service offered at First Citizens Bank or any other financial institution.
- Checks or items that are drawn or otherwise issued by the U.S. Treasury Department.
- Checks drawn on a home equity line of credit, or other convenience checks.
- Traveler's checks, money orders, or savings bonds.
When will my mobile deposit be available?
Deposits received Monday – Friday after 7:00 p.m. ET, on weekends and on bank holidays will be processed on the next business day. Funds from mobile deposits will generally be available for withdrawal 3 business days from the day of the deposit; however, funds may not be made available to you for longer periods of time under certain circumstances. Deposits are subject to limits, verification and other restrictions, as outlined in the First Citizens Bank Deposit Account Agreement.
If a deposit is held (or a hold applied), funds are posted to your account but are not immediately available to cover debits or withdrawals.
Common reasons for holds include:
- Large deposit amount
- Frequent overdrafts on the account
- Deposited check returned unpaid
- Indication a deposited check may not be paid
How will I know if there's a problem with my mobile deposit
after I submit it?
If a problem arises with your deposit, such as a returned check, we'll send a written alert to your primary address by U.S. mail.
What should I do with my paper check after I deposit it
using my mobile device?
Write “Mobile deposit on (Date)” on the front of your check including the month, day, and year of your deposit. Then securely store your check for 30 days after your deposit (this allows sufficient time in case the original check is required for any reason). After 30 days, destroy the check.
Are there any fees for using Mobile Deposit?
There are no fees for First Citizens Mobile Banking or Mobile Deposit. Please check with your wireless provider about carrier and web access charges.
What are the limits on the dollar amount of checks
that can be deposited using First Citizens Mobile Deposit?
Deposits to consumer accounts are limited to a total of $2,000 per day and cannot exceed $5,000 over any 30-day period. Deposits to business accounts are limited to a total of $4,000 per day and cannot exceed $8,000 over any 30-day period.
How many checks can I deposit at one time with Mobile Deposit?
There is no limit on the number of checks you may deposit, as long as you have not exceeded the total deposit amounts described in the question above.
Is depositing my check with a mobile device safe?
Yes. The link between your mobile device and our mobile deposit service is encrypted to industry standards. Your scanned check is secure and protected during transmission. Your scanned check is not stored on the device.
I'm trying to use Mobile Deposit but I'm getting the message
“Sorry, we can't read that check…” What is the problem with it?
If you are receiving the "Sorry, we can't read that check" error message, refer to the following:
- Sign the back of the check before you take the picture.
- The image of the check must be clear and all four corners must be inside the guide markers.
- The check must be free of shadows.
- If the check is wrinkled make sure to flatten it before taking a picture
- Ensure there is good contrast between the check and the background surface.
- After you take a picture you will be able to review and retake it if necessary.
In addition, some items are not supported by Mobile Deposit because of check printing issues. Examples are:
- Checks without a check number in the MICR line at the bottom of the check
- Checks without an account number in the MICR line (Example: counter checks)
- Checks encoded with a dollar amount
- Checks with writing or printing that obscures any part of the MICR line
If you continue to receive the same error message, please take the check to a branch or ATM for deposit.
Why don't I see the Deposits icon in my Mobile App?
The Deposits icon will only be visible to eligible clients. If you meet all the eligibility requirements, please make sure you have downloaded the most recent version of the app that includes Mobile Check Deposit. For first-time Mobile App users who meet the eligibility criteria it may take 1 to 3 business days for the Deposits icon to appear.